The City of Red Wing is located on the land lying west of the Mississippi River in the southern-eastern part of Minnesota. According to historical records, Father Louis Hennepin, an explorer and Franciscan priest, arrived here shortly after April 11, 1680, and was the first white man to visit this territory. On September18,1805, Col. Zebulon M. Pike, a United States Army officer, landed here and held a conference with the old Indian Chief who was called Hupahuduta (meaning ��a swan��s wing dyed in red�� which he carried as an emblem of his chieftaincy). On June 30, 1823, U.S. Army officer Major Long made his second visit to this site; and on that day, for the first time, our flag was hoisted to the breeze by him on the Indian Council House. It was Major Long who suggested the name RED WING. The location was known by several designations: Proymueche (meaning ��mountain in the water��) and Hemminnicha and Hham-necha (these meaning ��wood, water and hill��). In 1837 Rev. Daniel Gavin and Rev. Samuel Denton, Swiss Missionaries, came here to teach religion to the Indians. They remained for about nine years, and later came Rev. J. F. Aiton in 1848. Our first permanent missionaries came in 1849 in the persons of Rev. and Mrs. Joseph W. Hancock. Under a treaty made at Mendota on July 29, 1851, white people were allowed to make their homes on the west bank of the river from 1853 on. A white settlement was started here, and in 1857 Red Wing was incorporated as a city. The city is located in a valley surrounded by various bluffs; and to the north, the grand Mississippi River flows past its levee. Many fine parks for enjoyment are located within the city limits, one of which is the Soldiers�� Memorial Park located on the top of Sorin Bluff which is over a thousand feet above sea level and easily accessible with an automobile. Red Wing ranks as one of the leading manufacturing cities of Minnesota. Here are made such products as shoes, pottery, leather, linseed oil, safety products, and robotic products. There is a two-unit, 550 megawatts each, nuclear power plant located within the corporate limits of the City of Red Wing. Red Wing is surrounded by a rich agricultural territory; and the County of Goodhue, of which Red Wing is the county seat, has been known for years as the BANNER COUNTY of Minnesota in the production of farm products. A significant governmental change occurred June 1, 1971, when the City of Red Wing and Burnside Township were consolidated into a new municipality known as Red Wing. This action combined the land area and human resources of these two communities into one unified government with the potential to bring a maximum of modern governmental service to the entire area.
People in Redwing are warm-hearted and hospitable, and most received a good education. It has a population of more than 15,000. There are five primary schools, two secondary schools and one university with about 3400 students.